Office: Somerset House, London (Remote until minimum April 2021)
Salary: Up to 45K.
An exciting opportunity to join a high-growth technology start-up focused on eliminating fuel poverty and improving living standards in social Housing as an Embedded Software Engineer.
At Switchee, we believe that everyone deserves to live in a decent home and that the environments we inhabit have a massive influence on our ability to enjoy life and prosper.
One in five households in the UK live in social housing, a sector with the right values at its core but that has historically struggled to deploy innovations in the home. Many residents still can’t afford to heat their homes and live in cold, mouldy properties they can’t be proud of.
We believe that radical innovation in internet-connected technology can ensure that every resident, every day, is living in a home that allows them to succeed. That’s why our products are built not just on great technology, but on an understanding of what people want from the space they live in.
This approach led us to reimagine the most mundane household object, a thermostat, into a product that automatically reduces energy bills, looks great and offers control to those who want it. We are also revolutionising the way social landlords manage their housing stock with an obsessively tailored SAAS property dashboard and handy alerts on things like when the boiler is going to break.
Our next project is to build the ultimate connected hub for the social home. It’s going torevolutionise the way residents interact with their homes and landlords manage their properties.
We may be only 5 years old, but it’s already been quite a ride. Our first product, the connected Switchee thermostat is already in 45 of the UK’s biggest housing providers.
We’re growing 100% year on year and are backed by some of the best-known investors in technology and social impact. We are a small team of 20 passionate and ambitious people driven by a collective desire to make a positive impact in the housing sector, both for residents and landlords.
We are looking for a motivated individual to be an essential part of our R&D department.
As an Embedded Software Engineer, it will be your responsibility to architect, design and verify embedded software functionality for our bespoke hardware products that interoperate with our cloud applications.
The hardware products are intelligent low power embedded IoT devices comprising microcontrollers, sensors, and numerous wired and wireless communication interfaces.
We are looking for someone with the drive and a creative mind capable of solving complex problems in a neat, simple and reliable fashion. You will join the Embedded Software engineering team and work closely with our Cloud software team.
We firmly believe extraordinary people can come from a wide range of places – but we wouldn’t be surprised if the person who gets this role has some or all of the following:
- Is a self-starter and can get things done with minimal supervision
- Solid programming experience in C / C++ and preferably scripting languages like python
- Ideally 3 years or more experience (but those with 1 year or more will be considered if all other criteria are matched)
- Proven ability to drive a subsystem or product to completion
- Familiar with driver and board-level software development, board bring-up and systems debugging
- Experience developing software in a bare-metal or RTOS environment
- Experience with common interfaces like SPI, I2C, UART, USB, DMA, Flash and GPIO’s and wireless interfaces such as Zigbee, Bluetooth or Z-Wave
- Experience in IP & IoT protocols such as MQTT, TCP/IP, DNS etc.
- Knowledgeable in the use of toolchains and debug tools like GCC
- Experience with ARM-based processors
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools and peer reviews like Jira/GIT and confluence
- Good understanding of Scrum, Jira or other agile toolsets.
- Software Development Lifecycle & software Testing Lifecycle experience.
- Testing of performance, units, security, penetration, scalability/stress and load.
- Experience working with APIs and tools for testing them.
- Be comfortable using python or similar scripting languages
- Ideally be experienced with IoT solutions, devices & Cloud platforms (e.g. AWS0 technologies.
- Good understanding of Python (or similar languages for test development).
- Very good understanding of modern QA methodologies and practices.
We look for people who share our values and can add to our culture. Values are shared beliefs that guide our decision-making, and culture is how we function as a group and how we live our values as individuals.
- You deeply care about Switchee’s mission; you have a desire to build something revolutionary, that will disrupt an industry, and positively impact ordinary people’s lives.
- You care about the environment, are interested in energy efficiency and have thought about the challenges and opportunities posed by an evolving domestic energy market.
- You like technology and neat solutions to complex problems.
- You thrive on challenge and change; you naturally gravitate to the hardest questions first and love thinking differently to solve them.
- You are biased towards action and you’re happiest when you’re “getting stuff done”.
- You’re open, positive and straightforward. You’re not afraid to stand up for your convictions, even when it’s hard to do so.
- You celebrate your colleagues’ successes and thrive on your failures; you grasp any opportunity for learning and personal growth.
We like to keep things simple and flexible at Switchee and consider you to be joining our family:
- You will be joining an open and inclusive environment.
- As our mental wellbeing initiative, we offer Unlimited Holidays so you’re free to take as much as you need (Minimum 25 days + 8 Bank Holidays).
- Everyone at Switchee enjoys flexible working hours and is the master of their own routine.
- We are currently all working remotely and have a “people-first” approach to coming back to the office.
- We will provide you with all the necessary equipment to work from home in a safe and enjoyable manner.
- When we are not under lockdowns, we socialise together with regular outings in London and an annual “working remotely” trip where you have the option (but no obligation) to join us in working from a fun location.
- We look for people who share our values and can add to our culture. Values are shared beliefs that guide our decision-making, and culture is how we function as a group and how we live our values as individuals.
- We are hosting regular Virtual Socials and keep finding creative ways of staying connected with each other.
- If we end up working together, we can offer a competitive salary and a generous stake in the company.